Leaflin Arts  

Page 4 of  5

My next step was to cover the entire cow with a layer of pulp clay. For this, I used a paper egg carton torn up into small pieces which I soaked in hot water for several hours. Using small amounts of the pulp and additional water I processed it on high speed in a blender. I ran the pulp through a sieve to drain off the excess water. I then placed it in a ziplock bag along with about half a cup of wallpaper paste, a quarter cup of white glue, a quarter cup of whiting and a quarter cup plaster, then "mushed" it altogether.

An easier way is to use a product called "Celluclay" and follow the directions.


With the cow completely covered in the pulp clay I started on the head. Using the end of a gourd I rounded  the nose. For the ears I used card stock covered with several layers of "shop towel" mache' strips. While they were still wet I formed them into ears. The horn nubs are foam insulation pieces and the eyes are styrofoam balls. The head was then covered with the pulp clay and left to harden.
 Making The Outer Skin

To make the outer skin I hand dyed heavy weight “butchers paper”  in various colors. First I wadded up the paper, wet it, squeezed out the excess water, smoothed it out then painted it with liquid acrylic paint.

While the dyed paper was drying I began to add detail to the hooves, legs, socks and head. I started with an undercoat of “celluclay” then, after that had dried, I added more detail with a product called “Paperclay”.

Page 3
Page 5